Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Entitlement

I've been trying to think of a title for my book.  My mind keeps coming up with things of this nature: 
Blah Blah Blah:
Blahditty Blahditty Blah blah Blahditty blah Blah Blah blah Blaaaaaah

Not so catchy.  Bit too wordy.  In fact, the size of the book would have to be enlarged just to fit such a verbose title.

The title needs to convey what the book is about & I think also how it came to be- without being too limiting to the audience, too wordy, too contrived, or too boring.

I asked myself a few minutes ago what were some of the greatest book titles I had ever heard.  Perhaps, there would be a helpful guiding thread that ran through them.  I thought,  "I read a lot.  This is probably a great approach."  Two titles shot immediately to mind:  The Unbearable Lightness of Being & Hop on Pop.  No other titles came to mind- just those.  Well... fair enough.

Google.  Surely, Google will help me.  So, I type in, "What are the best selling books of all time?"  I did find that to be pretty fascinating.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

And in that list I found, for me at least, the payoff to my inquiry:  Captain Underpants has outsold The South Beach Diet.  

3 comments:

  1. I got it! I got it! If I were to name your book, it would be called

    "A penny for my thoughts"
    or..
    "A cup of coffee and some wisdom to go please"
    or..
    "If you were to pick an imaginary friend, why not pick Ghandi?"
    or..
    "Free therapy here...................your welcome."

    Do ya like? Did I win a prize? I also kind of liked
    "Blah, Blah, Blah...........messages to help you sparkle" I added a little extra.
    That's all. The old brain has frozen up again. See you later

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, all genius ideas!

    What about this?

    Sparkle Gandhi's Coffee Therapy To Go

    ReplyDelete
  3. minus "sparkle" and I think your getting somewhere. I know you love that word, but it doesn't flow with the rest.

    ReplyDelete